Today I was feeling a tad overwhelmed. Despite being a publisher for ten years, my first love is writing, and this means I am easily distracted. It is the process of creation I enjoy, rather than the necessity of maintenance!
The antidote to this antipathy: I wrote a list. (If you were curious, even if only for a second, as to what happens in a publisher’s day – well, here it is, on a platter.)
Emma Mactaggart / General Business
- Email – yes, okay to use quote of mine for a book.
- Rework PDF file to a word document to use in an autocue for an online workshop.
- Newsletter for Child Writes – writing story / curating images.
- Let web guy know newsletter ready for final construction and release.
- Banking cheques! Doesn’t happen often!
- Ring computer guy – can’t find files nor dropbox nor get printer working L
- Process overnight orders for books.
- Queensland Writers Centre initative – Books from Our Backyard – need to register all QLD writers published in 2015 by Boogie Books.
- Liaise with the Freight Forwarder / Customs – two titles (Four Hot Chips / Mitten the Kitten) have landed in the country and are being unpacked at wharf in Brisbane!
- Print orders for those two titles in anticipation of postage / handling on the weekend.
- Book television interview with Ch7 re: Four Hot Chips
- Contact: local radio / newspaper re: Four Hot Chips
- Rebuilding titles for Stuck on You to generate Colouring In Books (cute!) – involves contacting author from 2006, rescanning images!
- Amazon Sales report to bookkeeper
- Putting stickers (Gold Moonbeam / Gold IPPY) on box of Imagine
- Need to share Gold Moonbeam win with Queensland Writes Centre and Northern Rivers Writers Centre for Member’s News.
- Dash to Post Office – illustrations for reimagined version of Lily Fabourama, Glamourama ready to be picked up!
- Remember to pick up box of envelopes from Post Office (but only after I had driven home – had to go back again!)
- Promotional Poster for 2014 CW Competition Winners for their own book sales signing days at independent bookstores.
Child Writes Program
- Long list winners for the 2015 Child Writes Competition – generate certificates / send with prize.
- All entrants – participation certificate for 2015 Child Writes Competition
- Thank You emails for participants in 2015 St Anthony’s book launch.
- Certificate to Peter Rookas for 10 years support of Child Writes
- Legal Deposit – 2015 CW authors books to National Library of Australia and Queensland State Library.
- Invoices generated for extra book orders from Child Writes 2015 authors
- First round edit for author from Eisdvold (Child Writes 2011) with her second story!
Suffice it to say, I was a blithering mess by the end of it all, though deeply satisfied, as each of those notes above had a lovely TICK beside them. Not every day is as productive, yet everyday involves a huge range of tasks and challenges.
Now, where is my notebook, I just thought of an idea for a story…